An Argumentative essay is a piece of writing that takes a carriage on an issue. A writer attempts to influence the readers to understand and support their point of view about a topic by stating their reasoning and providing evidence to back it up. Argumentative essay writing is a common assignment which is generally assigned for high-school and college students. Generally, Argumentative essay topics are related to politics, technology, science, and health care.
How to write a thesis statement for argumentative essay in 3 steps
- A thesis statement is only one sentence long, but actually it’s the most important part of your argumentative essay. The thesis appears in your introductory paragraph, and the main work of this thesis is to summarizes what your argumentative essay will be about. So below are the steps that can help you to get your point across clearly and concisely:
- Try to turn your topic into a question and then try to answer it. The best thing you can do is to set up a big question in the title of your essay or you can also write it in within the first few sentences. Then, you can answer it with your thesis statement. This is the best method and engaging as well as it will draw the reader’s attention and also encourage them to keep reading to find the answer.
- Briefly outline the main points. You can introduce the main points and explain how you’ll back it up. This is also an effective method as it gives the readers a clear and bold idea of everything that you’’ discuss in your essay. The best thing is it will also serve as a roadmap to help you and keep you on the track.
Types of Argument Claims
Once you decide what you’re arguing and know your thesis statement. The next step is to present your argument. There are literally five types of argument claims that can drive your essay. There are five types of claims that are given below:
- Fact – Here you have to clear that the statement is true or false.
- Definition – you have to provide a proper definition of what you’re arguing, also you have to provide your personal interpretation of it.
- Value – Here you have to provide the importance of what you’re arguing.
- Cause and effect -here you have to mention the proper causes and effects in your essay.
- Policy – why the reader should care and what they should do about it after the reading.
Main types of arguments and how to use them
There are three main ways to structure an argumenttative essay. Below are the given arguments:
A classical argument is the type of argument which present the main argument, state your opinions, and do your best to convince the reader why your stand is the right one. It is also called as Aristotelian, this is the most popular strategy for making an argument because it’s the most simple line of thinking to follow. This argument is effective if your audience doesn’t have a lot of information or a strong opinion about your topic, as it outlines the facts clearly and concisely. The main aim of your job is to make your audience care about the topic and agree with your position.
Write a good introduction, and get the readers interest and attention, then state the problem and finally explain why they should even care. Try to state your position or claim and outline your all main arguments. In classical arguments, you have to convince the reader why opposing arguments are not true or valid.
Rogerian argument is the type of argument which present the problem, acknowledge the opposing sides of the argument, it states your point of view and then explains why your paper is profitable to the readers, as it acknowledges both sides and presents the middle ground. By this strategy, you can tell the reader that you are actually listening to opposing the ideas and that those ideas are accurate and valid. In Rogerian argument, you have to state the points and discuss the situation in which their point can be valid. It will show that you understand the opposing points of view and that you are open-minded as well.
In Toulmin, you have to present your claim and then present grounds to back up that claim. Here you have to justify that the grounds are linked to the claim. This type of argument is very effective for polarizing topics, but rather than present both the sides, it presents only one side.
Whether you’re writing an essay as an artistic exercise or trying to get the proper attention of a top publication, you should know that how to correctly structure your point of view is the key to a good argumentative essay. Use the additional logic and reasoning that supports the warrant. And also the short phrase which limited the scope of the claim.
So now I hope you know all the things about the Argumentative essay. If you are not able to write an Argumentative essay by yourself then you can easily take help from the reliable essay writing services. There are many online essay writing services available online which can also save yours a lot of time. There is a website Writeessays4me.com, you can easily take the best assistance from them.
I hope this article helped you.
Thank you for reading!